Friday, May 30, 2008

4.13 There's No Place Like Home (Part 2)

Sorry I missed posting about the last episode guys, but honestly I don't think it matters much considering the whopper of a finale we got last night. Again huge props to the writers...starting this episode 1 second after the ending of last season's finale flashfoward was genius. I remember coming to the conclusion that they didn't reveal who had died because it wasn't important, boy was I wrong.

There are so many questions I don't even know where to start, so I guess I'll begin with what we DID learn from the finale. We now know that Dharma knew about the "special properties" the island possesses and was experimenting with time travel in The Orchid station. Ben is still a heartless bastard, no matter how much sympathy was gleaned from the murder of Alex. He got his revenge on her killer knowing full well that would mean the deaths of everyone on the freighter. It broke my heart to see the boat explode with Jin running on the platform toward the helicopter and Sun practically jumping out to grab his hand, IMO those were some Emmy-earning screams she was belting out. I'm still in denial Jin's dead, but I guess that's how I felt about Charlie in last year's finale... As for Sun, I have no idea why she would ever want to partner w/ Widmore in the future knowing he was ultimately responsible for Jin's death. She's obviously become quite shrewd with time and must have something up her sleeve.

So when Jacob/Christian told Locke to "move the island," he really wasn't kidding. It was interesting seeing Ben lead up to the flashforward we saw a few episodes ago; him appearing out of no where in the desert with a bloody arm, now we know how and why he got there. It was also interesting to see how all the events played out to end w/ the Oceanic 6, because all season in my head I couldn't imagine how those specific people were the only ones who got off... Speaking of which, did anyone hear anything that Sawyer whispered to Kate before jumping?

The one moment of relief we got in those 2 hours was seeing Penny lean over the rescue boat's railing as Desmond looked up. Watching by myself I exclaimed out loud "it's Penny!!" and shed a few happy tears seeing them reunited. Of course I lost that feeling with Desmond's foreboding claim that as long as he's got Penny he'll be fine, knowing Ben is seeking to kill her.

One major thing I'm not clear on...why did the O6 have to lie?? In addition to protecting the island and it's people, which I get, did they think Widmore would kill them if they didn't? And why were they making up a name for Locke (which Hurley voiced on the boat) when they thought he was staying on the island? Ben's claim that Jack has to get all the survivors to go back to the island clears up Kate's dream where Claire tells her she shouldn't ever bring Aaron "back", which I think means back to the island. Why do they all have to go back, do you think they can go back in time and reverse all the horrible things that happened from the finale and on? I have a hard time believing this horrible future we've seen glimpses of all season is unchangeable for our beloved Losties...

3 comments:

Page48 said...

Hmmmmm, spraying the explosive device with liquid nitrogen to buy valuable time for others to make it to safety, and ultimately taking one for the team. Where have we seen those heroics before?

"I would have asked you out"..."I would have said 'yes'" .

SRM said...

lol that didn't even occur to me page, nice! Guess you can tell how caught up in the moment I was...

other questions I meant to post, Charlotte was born on the island?? What happened to Dan and the other rafties when the island "moved" ? Christian appeared to Michael, WTF??

SKlaft said...

I think I have to go back and re-watch it. I guess knowing so much of the forward story, there was not a great deal of surprises, leaving me a little unfulfilled.

As you alluded, this season was literarily brilliant, tying all the episodes together and ending back at the beginning of the season. Considering that we are dealing with time travel, this was a particularly nice touch.

I have to say, Kate seemed pretty unreasonable to me. Her cold attitude toward Jack was a little stronger than I might have expected, but it was the reaction to Jacks idea that they had to go back that seemed most out of place. She doesn't care about ANY of the rest of the Losties who still want to get home? She doesn't recognize that part of Jack that motivated him throughout the series that he had to save everyone, just like he promised? Sure, her dream was compelling, but that would have created a different reaction other than rage at the suggestion; maybe fear, or resolution, but not wrath. Something else is afoot here.

Anyway... to make more comments, I'm going to have to go back and watch again.

In the words of the RINO Govenator: "I'll be back."

-R.