Monday, May 12, 2008

4.11: Cabin Fever

Wow this was a bizarre episode. We got to see more flashbacks of John's past, and two main themes came across from them:
1. John is a miracle baby/man who has defied death on multiple occasions
2. The Island has been recruiting him since birth

We got to see the man who never ages looking in on him right after his birth mother ran out, and visit him years later to give some weird test that John didn't pass at that time (what the crap was all that about??)

On the freighter it seems the captain and the pilot are actually good people. The captain helps Sayid escape on a dingy after realizing the soldiers have a nasty second protocol, only to be shot by the their leader who then convinces the pilot to take them back to the island only by slitting the doctor's throat (um, does that mean now the island is in future time??)

In I think the weirdest ending ever, John finds Jacob's cabin and ends up talking to Jack and Claire's dad...guess she wasn't hallucinating after all. Her relaxed and almost amused demeanor was unsettling though, it was like she was brainwashed all over again. We've definitely noticed that Christian seems to be the tying factor to all of the Losties in some way, this seems to confirm that theory. Locke evidently finds out how to "save the island" from him and from the looks of next week's trailer our Oceanic 6 begin their journey home...along with their ill-fated destinies we've had glimpses of all season. Can their futures be changed somehow or is everything up to fate??

8 comments:

SKlaft said...

I'm glad they brought Doc. Shepherd Sr. back. That guy is too good an actor to play a minor bit-part. I have no idea what in the world is going one with him and Claire sitting in the dark of Jacob's cabin, and speaking on Jacob's behalf.

They sorta telegraphed the ship-doctor's death by reminding us that he was taken up dead on the island before it actually happened. My curiousity is focused more on the little electronic box on the arm of Keamy, the teen-girl murderer. Is that some sort of protection from the smoke monster?

Anyone think it was pretty cool wit hthe silent exchanges between Hurly and Benry while they waited for John? I think the writers are trying to soften our view of him, like he has done all those seemingly evil things out of a warped sense of necessity, and that doing them has brought him to his lowest point.

It is also interesting the Ben admitted that he is not really the leader of the "Others." We wondered about the no-aging guy before, and this helps to explain it.

Apparently, the weird test told no-aging guy something he did not want to believe about young John Locke. Something tells me that if no-aging guy woul have accepted what he saw (whatever it was) things would have been very different for John, and the plane might not have needed to crash. I think that was a pivital point in the past that led to everything we have seen so far.

BTW - how many episodes are scheduled for this season, does anyone know? I hate the idea of an abreviated season, but I doubt if they will make many more this year.

Tammy said...

I want to comment on this last episode, but quite frankly, I'm a bit in the dark still! It was confusing in my opinion! I want to back track and watch the whole thing over again!

I think there is one more "regular" episode this week and then a season finale (making 13 total I believe) next week. In looking at the schedule on ABC.com just now, it appears that a 2 hour finale is scheduled for WEDS May 21 (not Thurs!) We are going to be out of town and I want to try to record it! Glad I looked - would have recorded Thurs. night!

Tammy said...

Hmmm... in looking again - there is a 2 hour Lost scheduled for Weds, May 21, however it is not marked as a season finale (and other shows are marked that way)! Maybe there will be more?

http://abc.go.com/#navTabId=nextWeek

SKlaft said...

I followed that link and then looked at the Fall Schedule. I do not see LOST on it at all. We may be seeing the last episodes of the show. That's... interesting.

Tammy said...

Well now I had to get all "sleuth-y" and see what I could figure out.

It looks like the episode for Weds May 21 is repeats of some kind, and the actual season finale is Thursday May 29 - 2 hours.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/04/12/its-official-lost-and-greys-finales-get-an-extra-hour/

And I found this article (it's from LAST May, but maybe it's true?)

If this is true - there won't be new episodes of Lost until February 2009. That's a long time to wait!!

SRM said...

On the Lost Media site it shows a normal hour episode this Thurs. and the 2 hour finale on May 29th, so we've got 3 more hours of this fantastic season left...

I also liked the exchange between Hurley and Ben. It didn't tell me so much about Ben as it did Hurley. Even with all the sadness, evil and craziness he's seen on the island, much of it caused by Ben, he's still such a good person that he'd offer half his candy bar to the guy...amazing.

SKlaft said...

I can't believe they ran "There's No Place Like Home Part 1" without Part 2. That was designed as a two-hour showing, I think.

I reserve more comments for the next thread. (It will give me an excuse to watch it again.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.