Thursday, February 07, 2008

4.1: The Beginning of the End

Welcome to season 4 my friends! So who else was pissed at ABC for flat out lying about a "2-hour premiere?" Alright, now that I have that off my back, let's get to it. As many suspected, it looks like season 4 is going to show us flash-forwards of the Losties instead of flashbacks. This time we see Hurley's fate, where he's haunted by Charlie's ghost and perfectly happy to be back in the nut-house. One thing that struck me was when he was arrested he kept saying "don't you know who I am? I'm one of the Oceanic 6!" So this begs the question, who, other than Jack and Kate, are the other 3 that were rescued? What happened to the rest of them?? Charlie tries to convince Hurley "they need him" but we don't know who he's talking about and what they need from him, and when Jack visits him he asks if he's going to "tell", again we don't know what. Nothing like starting out a season w/ a handful of more mysteries to wonder about.

Back on the island, the Not-Penny's-Boat people are on their way to "rescue" everyone, but it's obvious there's something else going on. Hurley gets lost in the jungle and happens upon Jacob's house and a creepy-as-hell scene where the house appears no matter where he goes and Locke finds him. Locke is able to convince many of them that they are in danger from the boat folk, but Jack and Kate stick it out by the plane wreckage long enough to hear a helicopter fly over and encounter a parachuter who IDs Jack. Who are these people and what do they want? The next episode is called "Confirmed Dead" which is quite foreboding, any predictions?

5 comments:

Page48 said...

Fortunately, I didn't hear any promos for a two hour premiere, so I didn't suffer the letdown. I suppose they counted the one hour catch-up session as hour one. Cheapskates!

I was much more impressed with this season premiere than last season's early going, where we spent so much time in the Others' concentration camp and basically wrote the regulars out of the script for the first 1/3 of the season.

Somehow we knew Charlie would be back. As in "Alias", death is no reason to miss out on the fun.

I like the flashforwards. It's really pretty ingenious to have the flashbacks morph into flashforwards as the show enters the homestretch.

The TV season has been a disaster and it's great to have even a shortened season of "Lost" to get wrapped up in.

For anyone interested in "Jericho", it starts up on Feb. 12th. A whopping 7 episode season, as I understand it. This is probably just a token show of appreciation for the fan's interest in "Jericho", but I would be surprised if they cave in and renew for the fall season. Too bad, cuz I think it's better than anything the networks unveiled in 2007.

SKlaft said...

Yeah, as I mentioned in the previous thread, I was very confused when I went to watch the show online, and all I saw was the typical summation episode and one normal length episode. I guess I can understand why they went with this, but the ads on TV were, as you intimate, VERY deceptive; and, for that I feel a little insulted. Every time I think ABC has found the depth of how little they regard the show-fans, they surprise me again.

I do like, however, the darker turn this season seems to have. In the way that seasons 1 and 2 built up the weirdness of the Others, finding out that they are just large scale scam artists was a true disappointment. I did not honestly dislike how they treated the Others, I just expected something wilder.

(Remember the scene were some of our losties were hiding under some brush in stark terror while dirty-legged children silently sauntered by them? THAT was creepy.)

So, like you mention in the summation, I also like the creepiness of the shifting and appearing House-o-Jacob. I hope they keep up the thriller-like theme.

Like Page48, I first thought the flash-forewards were cool, but that led me to begin to guess about where it is going. The past is unchangeable, but the future is never certain. I seriously hope there is some point beyond showing us one possibility of the future. As Charlie showed us, on this show, something are "ment to happen" and "the universe tends to self-correct," but at the same time, they showed us that one change in what was supposed to happen, and it changes the end result. All the writers/producers have to do to make all of thes flashforewards completely irrelevant is to change something that led to the rescue of the Losties. Does anyone follow?

I sincerely hope this is not the case. It's like the cleche' end of "it was all a dream" Dallas-style closer. It would ruin all the enjoyment people had during the airing of the show. Okay, it is not quite as bad as all that, but it has that sort of potential.

The second episode has aired, and I am interested in these new characters. It seems that the island may have a further reaching pulling power than just the circumference of the island. Having showed the dead bodies of Oceanic 815 neatly situated on the bottom of the ocean, complete with the entire fusilage... I have no idea what seems to have happened, but the intregue continues to build. I hope they can pay it off in the end. I'm not leaving the show, as it seems that some fair-weather fan seem to have done.

Regardless of what happens, I'll see it through to the end.

-R.

SRM said...

ooo I like your quote R- "The past is unchangeable, but the future is never certain." I was talking about the cheesy/cop-out ending possibilities w/ my coworkers, like the whole show being a dream or some crazy person's imagination. I'm hoping against hope it doesn't go that route, and I think having a set number of seasons is a good omen for having a true ending, we shall see. Later today I should have time to do a recap for eppy #2, stay tuned!

Page48 said...

Reminds me of the Doors: "The future's uncertain and the end is always near".

SKlaft said...

When you preach for a church, it helps to have such broad-reaching, yet breifly stated one-liners that are filled with profundity.

Oscar Wilde used to have tons of them, but he filled them with sarcastic British humor, which takes away their usefulness, but you can still apprciate them just as much. Take the time to read "the Importance of Being Earnest" or "The Picture of Dorian Grey." You will not regret it.

-R.