Friday, February 22, 2008

4.4: Eggtown

Ok, looks like ya'll are still interested, so let the blogging continue! :) This episode was AWESOME, for those who haven't seen it you prob shouldn't read this post because there will be SPOILERS and you don't want to miss the fun of being shocked!

I laugh at myself because I think I react to the surprises exactly like the writers intend. The first shock was the flashfoward of Kate where she demands her trial lawyer not use her son in the courtroom to gain sympathy. That made me sit up straight as my eyes widened questioning "what son??" I figured she must have had a kid we didn't know about before the crash, then it became clear that they were steering us toward believing she and Sawyer had a baby. To build character they had Jack testify on her behalf, which wasn't a huge surprise, but the boldface lie he told on the stand was. He lied about Kate nursing them back to health to make her look good, but why did he say they crashed in the water and only 8 people survived? We figure he doesn't want to visit her "baby" because he doesn't want to be reminded of her and Sawyer, but the last scene of the episode turns that around when we realize this "baby" is much older than we figured and says "hi mommy" to which she replies "hi Aaron." ... This led me to one conclusion: that something happens to Claire on the island, which is too painful for Jack to confront, and she makes Kate Aaron's legal guardian. It also took me back to last season's finale where she says to Jack that "he'll be wondering where I am." I figured she meant Sawyer or whatever guy she was with, but now I think she was referring to Aaron.

Some interesting thoughts to chew over, one of my coworkers (who I'll call CS) pointed out that all the flashforwards we've seen have shown the losties in their worst nightmares. Jack becomes a drunk just like his father, Hurley goes back to the nutter house where he swore he'd never go, Sayid becomes a killer which he never wanted to do in the military, and Kate gets stuck in one place for 10 years on probation and is a mother when we know she liked to move around and had no motherly intentions when talking to Claire. Speaking of which, do you think Aaron is considered one of the Oceanic 6 even though he wasn't born until after the crash? Also, the psychic told Claire she has to raise the child or there will be some nasty consequences, so what happens to him now that Kate is raising him? Lastly, what happened to Sayid and the helicopter??

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also we must remember that Jack and Claire are half siblings.
My theory is that he did something to Claire (by mistake) possibly killing her and then found out they were related.
So maybe he won't see Aaron because it is too painful and reminds him of what he did...
just a thought.

-- oh and I am still waiting Syd and Vaughn to be somehow involved. Remember when she was held on that boat?

SKlaft said...

I hate to admit it, but I saw it coming from the moment she refused to bring "her son" into the courtroom. The odd way she lingured over him when Claire asked her to pick him up also clued me in on it. I guess, as a writer, I look for the more intreguing sequences, and think "this is how I would write it," and it often goes that way.

The "worst nightmare" observation is an excellent one that I haven't taken time to consider until you mentioned it. The odd part of it is that Jack keeps showing up in everyone else's flash-foreward as though he were clean-cut and well-adjusted. That isn't the Jack we saw in his flash-foreward.

It's killing me that Jack and Claire still do not know of their famlial connection. Jack must know that Aaron is not Kate's, but she told him that she understood why he didn't want to see him. I'm thinking that Kek's theory (above) has to be close to right. Unless... maybe Claire found out that she, being the only mother to have survived giving birth on the island, would die if she left the island. I think this is why the "psychic" was so vehiment in getting her on that plane.

Either the Oceanic 8 went back home, promising to keep the island secret, or they did some awful things on the island of which the public would not approve. This would cause Jack's drunken stress, and Hurley's mania. Kate is cool with it because has to be more concerned with safeguarding Aaron. Syid has just bottled it all up as a part of the deal with Ben... hmmm... that still has me perplexed. Has Syid promised Ben to be an assassin for him if he convinces the island to let his freinds go?

The Helicopter... well, it is more of a curiosity than anything else. The rocket sent from the boat took like an hour longer to finally arrive where Dan set up the tripod. It must be that it takes the chopper longer than expected to get back to the boat. We know Syid is one who makes it back to the world, and he was on the 'copter, so it can't be a big deal.

I would say 'yes' to Aaron being one of the Oceanic 8. He was just as much a passenger (even more so) as Claire was. He must have been one that was saved, along with Jack(2), Kate(3), Hurley(4), and Syid(5). There must be three more to be revealed.

-R.

SKlaft said...

Hmmm. is it Oceanic 8 or 6? If it is 6, then we only have one more left to be revealed, because, like someone said earlier, I don't think Ben was considered one of the survivors of the crash. He had nothing to do with the plane, and too many people would know that.

Page48 said...

Oh, man, it's already been more than 2 years since Syd found herself adrift on that boat. And then a 4 freaking month hiatus while they worked out the details of a poison pill.

One thing about "Lost" that always leaves a puzzled look on my face is when I think about Eko and Ana Lucia and the rest of that crew. What the heck were they all about anyway? The amount of time we spent learning their backstory via flashbacks, and for the life of me, I don't even know what they had to do with anything.

Were the Eko-man and his friends just killed off in a case of writer's remorse? Were they a good idea gone bad? Is there part of their story that is yet to be told? Am I missing something?

This season is certainly far more interesting IMO than last season which ignored most of the survivors for the first 3rd of the season. I found the whole captive scenario very frustrating.

SRM said...

Yes it is Oceanic 6, so if Aaron counts as one of them then we do have only one more to discover (assuming it's not Ben). I honestly forgot about Jack and Claire being half siblings, which means Aaron would basically be his nephew. I also reasoned that he had a hard time seeing the "baby" because he tried to save Claire (assuming something happens to her) but wasn't able to. It does seem like these flash forwards we're seeing are closer to the present than the one we saw at the end of season 3 where Jack was the drunk. I have to wonder what sets him off and why he and Hurley insist they weren't supposed to leave the island...

Tammy said...

I also saw it coming that Kate's son was Aaron... now I of course have no idea why!

I personally don't think that Aaron is one of the 6 and neither is Ben, so I'm thinking (hoping?) there are two more survivors that we'll see. I don't understand what the lie Jack told on the stand is all about...

I think that somehow there are still a number of the survivors on the island and for whatever reason, the six don't want the outside world to know it. That's why Hurley kept saying - we have to get back.

SRM said...

yeah it seems some of the Losties are coming around to Locke's way of thinking that life on the island is better than home, like Sawyer. We already know that Rose and her husband (blanking on his name) want to stay so she stays cancer-free. I keep wondering what happens to Jin and Sun...and their baby...

Tammy said...

I have been wondering about Jin and Sun too. If my theory is true and we have two more survivors to find out about - I think maybe it's them. Or maybe wishful thinking again! :)

SRM said...

maybe Tammy... :) I actually missed the dialog between them in this episode. It was right after a commercial break and I was in another room, so I heard them talking but couldn't get back right away to read the subtitles, did Sun say something that upset him about the baby?

Tammy said...

If I remember right, she said she wants to leave the island because she wants to raise the baby in Korea. Jin wasn't happy about that - he wants to be in America. He said something to the effect of "I am learning English so I can take care of you"...